The Past Few Days
It's been a busy past few days. Last Friday, my mom had surgery so I took the day off of work and went to the hospital to sit with my dad while she was in surgery. Actually, I went over there after my work outing Thursday night and spent the night with my family so that I could just ride with my parents to the hospital. We had to be there by 11:15 a.m. and the surgery was at 1:30 p.m. My grandparents (my dad's mom and dad) joined us at the hospital around the time her surgery started. I thought that was so awesome of them to come and sit with us and that they were there to support her. We just sat and visited the whole time which was so nice because it helped to pass the time. The surgery was two hours and then recovery time was about an hour and a half so we had about 3-1/2 hours of just sitting and waiting. My dad and I did quite a bit of sitting that day. We arrived at the hospital and sat down while she got registered. After that, she was brought into a room where they check her temperature, get her prepped for surgery, and ask TONS of questions. :) Of course, my dad and I are sitting during this time. Then after the nurse left the room, we had time to visit before she went into the holding area for surgery where, once again, my dad and I sat down. We were able to sit with her in the holding area until it was time for them to take her back to surgery. Then it was off to the family waiting room for the next 3-1/2 hours until we heard which room she would be in and then we would be able to join her there when she came out of recovery so we could sit some more. :) When she was back in the room and resting, my dad and I just read magazines so she could sleep. I am so glad that I was able to be there with them that day, and I wouldn't change that for anything. It meant so much to me to help them out since they have done so much for me over the past, well, almost 34 years now. :)
When my dad and I left the hospital that night, we went out to dinner at Yen Ching's. It was great to spend the day with him because we don't get that time too often.
My mom is recovering well, and they have had meals brought in this week from people in the church. Monday night lasagna was brought in and Tuesday night two 9 x 13 pans of lasagna were brought in by somebody else. Isn't that funny? :) At least tonight (Wednesday), somebody brought them ham, macaroni and cheese, salmon, and jello salad.
While I was sitting in the waiting room that day, I was thinking about all the other people in there and wondering if the person they were waiting for was in for major surgery or minor surgery. Part of me thought, "What if somebody is waiting to find out if their friend or family member is even going to make it through surgery." And I thought about how sad that would be. As I watched the doctors coming in and out to find the family members, I wondered what kind of news they had to give them. I was wondering if there was anybody there I could pray with or what it would look like if someday I just went in and sat there with somebody who was alone......

3 Comments:
What type of surgery did your Mom have? Was she outpatient? I have had my share of waiting and sitting in hospitals. When my grandpa was in there for just over a week before he passed away..this was 14 yrs ago, I knew everything about butterworth hospital. I had everything memorized.
Lori, I think it was a week for surgeries. My mom also had surgery this week. (She's still in the hospital, but doing pretty well.) I'm glad you're mom is recovering well. I had some similar thoughts in the waiting room and I wondered about the others there. The moment when the doctor comes in is such a tense one - as families are about to find out about their loved one and wait those final seconds for the results.
Lori, it sounds your compassion was shining beautifully last weekend for your family and others! I'm glad you could be there with your parents. I'm sure it was a gift to them.
Lori,
I just wanted to affirm Chel's statement of your compassionate heart. That is a gift from God and one of the reasons I love you as much as I do.
Post a Comment
<< Home